Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pasta and a pan sauce....

Tonight I was all about a quick, easy, healthy meal - but I was craving carbs. My favorite thing to do when I need a combination like this is to whip up a pasta dish. Two pieces of equipment that you need: a pot to boil the noodles and a frying pan to make a quick sauce. For two people, I use two cups of pasta (whatever kind you prefer). Then, go crazy with whatever you have in the fridge to make your pan sauce! This is how I made tonight's pan sauce:

  • Bake two chicken breasts for 15 minutes at 375 degrees
  • Bring noodles to a boil
  • 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter
  • Add a handful of thinly sliced red onion to the pan, pinch of salt and pepper, cook until softened
  • Add 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper and 1 tbsp. garlic, and 1 tbsp. capers saute for about 1 minute
  • Add sliced, cooked chicken to the pan
  • Add 1/4 cup of white wine (whatever you are drinking!), bring to a simmer and reduce for 1-2 minutes
  • Add 1/2 bag of fresh spinach to the top of the pan, let sit 2 minutes or until wilted
  • Add noodles right from boiling water to the pan (the starch from the wet noodles will thicken the sauce), toss
  • Toss with fresh basil and serve

Again, this is what I had readily available to me - the onion was already sliced from a previous dinner, and I always keep jarred roasted red peppers, garlic and capers around to whip up quick pasta dishes like these. It's a gourmet dish with little fuss. Serve with some pinot grigio or your favorite white wine and you are good to go!

No comments: