Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tenderloin Steaks with Red Wine Reduction

I found this recipe on the Food Network Website - simple but defintiely a special treat! Since it is going to be an extremely cold evening, we are staying in and I am making a special dinner. I'll let you know how it turns out.

UPDATE: This recipe was wonderful! The sauce was a rich but subtle addition to the steaks, definitely a treat! I recommend only 1/2 tbsp. of butter to finish the sauce. We also used 1 1/2 tbsp. of shallot in place of the scallions in addition to a tbsp. of chives and a tbsp. of parsley. We paired the steaks with a 2004 Hanna Cabernet Sauvignon. (The bottle was a gift from my Mom and Dad, I have to do some research to see how hard it is to find in the Cities. It was a very elegant, full-bodied cabernet, perfect with the steaks!)

Sauteed Tenderloin Steaks with Wine Sauce

Two 1 1/4-inch thick (8 ounces weight) tenderloin steaks, top loin center cut
1 tablespoon olive oil
Nonstick pan
Tablespoon or so finely sliced scallion
1/2 cup good red wine
1 tablespoon butter
Minced parsley or chopped chives
Salt and pepper

Trim steaks of excess fat and pat dry with towels; brush them lightly with some olive oil and lightly oil a nonstick pan. Saute steaks 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes a side for red rare; longer for medium. Remove steaks to a warm plate. Degrease most of the fat, leaving only a teaspoon in skillet. Add the scallions and stir for a moment. Pour in wine and scrape deglazings; boil down until syrupy. Remove from heat, add butter and parsley or chives if you wish; pour over steak

2 comments:

HaiVy said...

Christina, you inspired me to try this last night. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the exact ingredients, but I turned to Giada's Family Dinners book and found a very similar recipe. The only additions were some garlic and tomato paste and the results were delicious!

Christina Tibesar said...

Could you send me that recipe?