Saturday, March 29, 2008

Grilling Season is Upon Us!

Andrew and I hosted his parents for dinner a couple of weeks ago. To celebrate the beginning of spring, we brushed the snow off of the grill and grilled some chicken kabobs. I pulled an Asian-inspired marinade recipe out of a cookbook that my mom had purchased for me a couple of years ago (it's called An Occasion to Gather: Milwaukee Entertains). Once it was mixed together, I took a small taste to test for seasonings and my mind began to race with all of the things I could do with this marinade. On top of being a great marinade for chicken breasts or kabobs, it would make a great dipping sauce (think chicken satay) and would also work with hardy white fish (halibut, swordfish, etc.) or even seared tuna - just brush some on before grilling and drizzle a little bit more on top after the fish is cooked. You could even toss this marinade with noodles for a yummy side dish. You are guaranteed to love it. (This recipe makes enough marinade for 6-8 boneless chicken breasts).

1 cup creamy peanut butter
8 green onions, minced
1/2 cup chili sauce (I used a sweet, mild chili sauce from Lund's)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients together. Pour over chicken breasts (I recommend reserving some of the sauce for dipping!) and marinate for 8-10 hours.

1 comment:

HaiVy said...

We "grilled" chicken breasts at home last night with this marinade and it was super tasty! The only adjustment I made was to use a spicy chili (instead of sweet, since we didn't have it), so I dialed back the amount of chili sauce and cayenne pepper overall. Still very very good.

Since I had plenty of sauce leftover, I tossed it with some noodles and veggies for lunch today.