Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Golden Fig Fine Foods


For those of you who have browsed your way down Grand Avenue in Saint Paul lately, you probably ran into the most wonderful treasure that I discovered two weekends ago. It is called Golden Fig Fine Foods. I was lucky enough to hear Golden Fig owner Laurie Crowell speak at a networking event. Laurie grew up in Wisconsin but worked under Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa) in The Hamptons in college (and I believe for a year or two after that). Ina continues to be a great mentor to her. You can see Ina's influence reflected in Laurie's shop. This quaint shop offers everything from kitchenware to gourmet chocolates, MN- and WI-made cheeses and other handcrafted goodies (read: homemade vinegars that looked out of this world!). It appears that all of her products come from the Midwest (another plus!). There were lots of opportunities to sample, as well. I picked up a small jar of horseradish mustard that has a huge kick to it - fresh from a small sandwich-shop owner in Chicago. I've used it on sandwiches and in a vinaigrette dressing - I'm obsessed! Now that the weather is warming up, take advantage and stroll down Grand, making sure to stop and purchase some goodies from Golden Fig!

2 comments:

HaiVy said...

Sounds awesome! I drive by that little shop so often but haven't had time to stop. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.