Thursday, January 3, 2008

Favorite Shortcuts

In general, I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, ingredients, flavors, etc. But there are some evenings, ones not unlike last night with the bottle of Paralelle 45, where experimenting in the kitchen is the last thing one would want to do.

For such evenings, I have two favorite "shortcuts" that I like to use to get dinner efficiently and tastily on the table.

The first is the Thai Kitchen Peanut Bake - the "Asian Shake N Bake," as we like to call it at home. I usually coat boneless/skinless chicken breasts with this stuff, throw in the oven for 30 minutes and serve with rice and veggies for a quick and flavorful meal. The Peanut Bake is just a bit spicy and the coating helps keep the chicken breasts from getting dry in the oven.

You can find the Peanut Bake in the Asian/International aisle at Cub and Rainbow. Byerly's/Lunds doesn't carry this brand of Peanut Bake for whatever reason (although they have plenty of Thai Kitchen brand products). Instead they offer A Taste of Thai Peanut Bake, which we've tried and don't care for.

My second favorite shortcut is a recent discovery, and possibly a short-lived one, since the rumor is that this product has been discontinued. But if you can still find it at Byerly's/Lunds or natural foods store, I would definitely pick up a few packets! It's called Fajita Dust by a brand called Allen Cowley, and it's the best fajita seasoning I've found at a grocery store.

I usually saute big slices of portobello mushrooms, onions and bell peppers with the dust for easy and tasty fajitas. They are super good and have garnered praise from both vegetarian friends and my carnivorous husband.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am one of those veggie friends who loves HaiVy's fajitas. How sad that the magic dust is being discontinued. :(

Christina Tibesar said...

YUMMY! I love Thai Kitchen products but have never spotted the peanut bake - I'll have to look harder next time. :) Thanks for the tip!